Terrestrial Ecosystem Ecology
Odum School of Ecology - University of Georgia
We study the biogeochemical cycles of terrestrial ecosystems. We seek to uncover the mechanisms of how ecosystems function in order to answer pressing ecological questions. We are particularly interested in understanding how the interaction of plants, soils and symbiotic microbes give rise to patterns and processes in ecosystems, and how these interactions modulate ecosystem response to global change. Our approaches include manipulative field and lab experiments, analyses of ecosystem properties across landscapes and analyses of long-term data. Recent and ongoing work focuses on how forests recover from disturbances of land-use and climate change, disease and fire. Our study systems span the globe from the tropics to the arctic.
- Welcome to Erik Ramos, our REU student this summer! - June 1, 2019
- Jessie, Carter and Hannah are graduating! Carter will be a summer technician with us and Jessie is matriculating into our graduate program to pursue an M.S. in Ecology. Congrats to you all! - May 2, 2019
- Our collaborative study on nitrogen fixation in tropical forests of Trinidad, led by Jack Brookshire, has been accepted in Scientific Reports - May 2, 2019.
- Congratulations to Julie! Her first first-author paper on the nitrogen imbalance of longleaf pine savannas was accepted in Ecology — March 29, 2019
- Nina enjoyed her visit to Emory University last week, where she met with students and faculty and gave a seminar in the PBEE (Population Biology, Ecology and Evolution) program. — Feb 24, 2019
- Nina participated in a New Phytologist workshop last week in Sommieres, France and had a great time discussing how root functional traits affect plant and ecosystem functioning with a number of new colleagues. — Jan 27, 2019
- At the end of last year we wished Andres all the best in his new adventures, and at the start of this year we welcome Carter Coleman and Hannah Goldberg, our new undergraduate researchers. — Jan 11, 2019
- Carly's paper on soil respiration in arctic tundra has been accepted and is online in Pedobiologia - Journal of Soil Ecology — Nov 6, 2018
- Megan's paper on the temperature sensitivity of soil respiration has been published in Biogeochemistry! — Oct 23, 2018
- Nina gave a seminar in the Environmental Studies department at UCSC and had a great time meeting with students and faculty. — Oct 11, 2018
- The Odum School has begun an Ecology Teaching Postdoctoral Program. Applications are due Nov 20, 2018.
- A belated congratulations to Dana, who won 2nd place for her talk at the Graduate Student Symposium earlier this year. — Sept 24, 2018
- Jessie received a travel fellowship to attend the LTER All Scientists Meeting in October and will present her REU (and ongoing) research! — Sept 7, 2018